A good online reputation may take months or years to build, and only a few seconds to destroy. People can get a wrong perspective of your reputation because someone may use in the wrong way your personal information and ruin your online reputation. It is therefore important to keep a constant watch of your online reputation and take steps to maintain and improve it.
The best way to maintain and to improve your digital reputation is through conversation. For this purpose it is necessary to participate and to answer.
You can participate in two different ways:
- Creating contents and sharing them on the Net or helping to spread the content created by other people using the platform or platforms we have
- Answering to conversations started by other people through
It is equally important to start conversations and put your own content on the Web, as well as participating in conversations begun by other people, as the knowledge which is shared and created by users is one of the key elements of the Web 2.0. The principles of cooperating and sharing are fundamental in the culture 2.0: in order to receive you have to be ready to give.
In order to build a good digital reputation it is important to bring relevant content to the Web on the topics we wish to be associated with.
Before improving your reputation, it is important that you know what is said about you, your product, your company or website. This can be done using the tools mentioned above (search engines, alerts, etc.).
In order to maintain and to improve our digital reputation it is necessary to:
- Built relationships with other It is important the you are active and participative, that you bring content that is valuable to other people: comments, resources, links, and everything that is considered interesting. For each personal comment that you find online, take the time to say thank you, people will appreciate it and they will do the same in return. The wider is your network of relationships, the more positive effects it will bring to your online reputation.
- Present contents clearly, with sincerity, honesty, humility, politeness and tolerance. In short, cultivate a good digital reputation, showing sense of humour and Losing control can help you ruin your reputation, so even if you have been provoked or someone has said something about you that gets you angry, think twice before replying.
- Take care of the editing of contents, avoiding orthographical mistakes and expressions that may be perceived as
- Accept criticism and regard it as an opportunity for It is necessary to learn how to debate respecting the opinion of the others and avoiding disqualifications.
- Try to participate in communities that are relevant to your line of You will not only gain an incredible amount of information, you will also have a great exposure and therefore improve your digital reputation.
- Avoid being overbearing, boasting about success achieved. We have to acknowledge the good work of others; too much pride and presumptuousness can be detrimental to our You have to act with humility and acknowledge that you are not perfect, so by being humble, the others will see that you are interested in the good of the community and not only of yourself.
- Dole out the contents about the same topic in a single
- Be careful about the image of ourselves or of our environment that we publish.
- Be selective with the It is also important not to seek contacts at all costs in order to gain image and power. That could be self-destructive to your reputation.
- Establish clear rules of engagement with the others, avoiding the constant change of criteria.
If you want to succeed in social media, you must set a publishing Schedule, indicating dates and themes, creating a plan and establishing a routine, to avoid the temptation to abandon your intention.
Choose one or more topics that you feel comfortable with, and divide them into categories and subcategories.
Make a list of weeks on the left side of the sheet, and decide how many times a week you will publish or post articles.
Write the headlines, and if you have previously written articles, use them as a backup when you have no ideas.
An example of planning board could be this:
|Category 1||Category 2||Category 3||Category 4|
|Sub Category||Sub Category||Sub Category||Sub Category|
Some examples of topics that you could write about are:
- Presentations on the work you do.
- Reviews of books on a chosen category.
- Videos and websites that talk about a subject matter.
- Summaries of books.
- Answers & questions.
Apart from social networks reveal your personality your professional attitude, they can be the success of your career, or rather, the end of it. This requires not making colossal mistakes:
- Not having a plan, or, be in networks for being;
- Despite being free, social networks can cost time and money both for the everyday user and for businesses that do not use use them The most important step is to determine what is your goal and who you want to reach with this tool;
- Getting everything at once - after a strategic plan, it is natural to want to implement all actions at the same time, which ultimately become an Prior to that, do a search to determine which networks that will best achieve your objectives;
- Do not measure the return that the investment should return - before you start using, and which will be your goals and how you can monitor traffic on social Most of them have tools to determine the scope of demographic regions and monitor where are the visitors of your profile and how many hits you’re getting;
- Failure to put essential information in the profiles - it is important to complete all information fields in the profiles because they are what define who is found in searches over the The profiles on social networks often provide several fields to include information about the user, photos and logo, etc. Many users tend to fill only the most important parts and end up leaving the profile incomplete. The more complete your profile is, the greater the chances of being found;
- Neglecting the opinions of others - seek to interact with your If you’ve been in a situation where only one person talks and gives no opportunity for others to express themselves, you already know that it is annoying not having the proper attention. In social networks the dynamics are the same: if a user only promotes and does not interact with others, may end up losing followers. So if someone makes a comment on your profile or post something, do not forget to respond;
- Remove negative comments or critics - there are users who use social networks to complain on or critics some action or In most cases, the first reaction is to delete the comment and not let the remaining contacts see it. However, when you delete a message, users may understand that’s trying to hide something and pretend to have always show a positive image. Instead of deleting the posts, try to answer them politely and wait also for the defense of other contacts;
- If used incorrectly, the networks can also destroy your career - do not delete messages with criticism about yourself, instead try to understand who criticized and why tey Convince them to make a post saying exactly the opposite;
- Do not worry about the profiles that already exist - do constant searches on the Internet to see where information about you is Did you know that many of the information about you are already on the Internet without you knowing? A simple search can show you Google profile Places, telephone companies and websites with information to contact you. The important thing is to keep these profiles up to date, because even without a website or a profile on social networks, an employer will find it through search engines;
- Not having time to update the profiles - building a brand on the Internet takes time and To expand your network of contacts online, you must be prepared to devote a few minutes of your day to update all profiles. If you think you will not have time to update social networks on an ongoing basis, the best thing to do is not start with that strategy now.
- Maybe social networks are not the right thing for you - try to find out whether employers you want to contact use or give importance to social It is not because many people use social networks that you should do the same. If you think you are not prepared to enter the networks, the best thing to do is wait to enter this new world.
- Publishing personal details - it is natural that you want to share photos, videos, musical tastes, but everything has a Therefore, it is essential not to expose oneself too much.
- Using social networks in the workplace - if you use them only on breaks, there is no problem; however, if you use them during working hours, it shows lack of respect towards your duties and your colleagues, not to mention that it may be a cause for dismissal.
- Saying on social networks what you would not say personally - Be aware that you are in a global world and what you are doing is a global conversation but at the same time also Therefore there are issues and comments that are harmless to some, but that may be a personal attack to others.
- Not worrying about spelling and grammar – when people write on computers they often use short sentences and an informal language, as the Internet requires a dynamic and relaxed language. However many companies evaluate this aspect item as an ability to communicate using the language Therefore, it is better to use a language that is normal and correct.
- Lying - one of the problems often remarked by companies recruiting people using social networking is that there are people who need to convey the idea that they have abilities and skills that do not actually They do not do it to cause any harm, but they are convinced that this information is restricted to a particular group.
- Commenting political positions – Avoid confrontation, consider that many of the comments may be wrong because we do not know the future, but your posts will be there in the Your position may create some discomfort in your workplace or it may cause you to lose your job opportunities because of your ideologies not well explained.